[mpFree] New Animal’s self-titled debut LP

When you really dig independent music, whether as a fan or a blogger, there’s almost no better feeling than stumbling upon a promising young band that no one’s ever heard of… especially when that band is as talented and exciting as New Animal. Just two dudes from Atlanta, Kris Hermstad and Derek Burdette have labored over 15 tracks and 75 minutes of music in styles ranging from bedroom pop to exp. psych pop to anthemic kraut rock. The more the merrier — they don’t fit some simple category, no “RIYL” recommendations abound. Seemingly from the heart, or from the mind, or from the gut, but at least from somewhere within. They don’t cop someone else’s sound and fuzz the hell out of it to mask their theft. They aren’t hopping on the latest genre bandwagon. Listen for yourselves:

[MP3] New AnimalOther Side
[MP3] New AnimalTry

Soak up those two tracks and then proceed to New Animal’s bandcamp page where you can grab the whole release gratis. Then thank Radiohead for starting this whole free release thing, because it’s so much bigger and better than anyone would have guessed four years ago.

IGIF January 17, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Free release: immensely promising psychpop debut from New Animal http://www.iguessimfloating.net/2011/01/

stuntman5 January 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm

RT @IGIF: free release: immensely promising psychpop debut from New Animal http://www.iguessimfloating.net/2011/01/

Davy Minor January 17, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Nice job scooping me on an Atlanta act. I was planning on blogging on them later this week. Good stuff!

Kris January 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm

hello there! this is Kris, one half of New Animal. I really appreciate you posting our album, and I wanna thank anyone who took a chance and checked it out!

we’re getting a site together, other than our bandcamp, but its still a major work in progress… hopefully by Wednesday, the site will be almost done, and loaded with content. (who knows, maybe ill have a long restless night ahead of me! :P)

NewAnimal.Net – and please, if you really like what we’re doin, Follow us on Facebook. – spread the word! whatever. burn our album and give it out. we just want feedback from the people who matter most! (people who actually seek out new music!)

thanks again.
-kris

Dude January 18, 2011 at 1:15 am

Aw Bro. I thought it was “New Animal Collective.” Oh Well.

Kris January 18, 2011 at 2:28 am

so, thanks people! we appreciate the downloads! we’ve actually run out of free downloads at our bandcamp. we’re gonna load some more free downloads up tomorrow, but for now, you can go to our website http://www.newanimal.net and get a mediafire link for a ZIP of the album. the same zip youd download through bandcamp.

!! again, thank you!

dalek January 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm

This is awesome! Very rarely am I able to listen to an entire album from beginning to end, so you must be doing something right!

Justin S. January 19, 2011 at 9:54 pm

from what I’ve heard so far this is seriously awesome stuff. as soon as I get home tonight I’ll totally do my part and write up a tumblr post. Unfortunately not a lot of exposure to be gained from my obscure little blog, but every little bit counts I suppose.

kickass debut though, seriously.

{ Tweetbacks }