The Zutons – New Album

Liverpool should be England’s Mecca when it comes to British bands. I’ve read/listened to more bands out of Liverpool than any other city in England. Not being from England, I would assume the comparisons between cities may be somewhat like Chicago and New York City?! Help me out Englanders!

Whatever the comparison, another great Brit band, The Zutons, are prepping their followup album to their 2004 (hit) debut album Who Killed The Zutons?

My ears have been soaking in the sounds of The Zutons latest, Tired Of Hangin’ Around, for the last few hours. Their sophomore album, slated to launch on April 17, is a blend of catchy British pop rock meets American indie rock. If I had to compare their sound to another artist, I would say a mix between We Are Scientists and Franz Ferdinand, with a dash of B&S.

With their use of a cool saxophone, Zutons sound blends that of pop rock and melodic jazz. Originally a four-piece, one of the member’s girlfriend Abi began joining The Zutons on stage for a couple of songs mid-set, playing simple saxophone lines and adding backing vocals. Ultimately, she became very popular with the crowd and the band by becoming a full-time member, adding that extra zing the band needed for their debut album to hit #9 on the UK Album Charts. Check out what they have in store on their next release. It’s highly addictive.

[MP3] The ZutonsWhy Won’t You Give Me Your Love (New Single!)
[MP3] The ZutonsHello Conscience
[MP3] The ZutonsSecrets

[VIDEO] The ZutonsWhy Won’t You Give Me Your Love (Street Dancing!)

I am hoping to catch them on tour when they hit the states, but until then, you can check out their MySpace for their UK-Friendly touring gigs.

Woodland Bear April 2, 2006 at 6:29 am

It’s hard to say where Liverpool sits city-wise over here. Obviously London is our main city, being the capital, but musically it sucks. Birmingham’s probably second biggest, but there’s better known Somalian bands than there are ones from Birmingham. I think the biggest cities for music in the UK must be Newcastle (Maxïmo Park), Leeds (Kaiser Chiefs), and Liverpool, with Sheffield being the centre for new music right now, spawning Arctic Monkeys and the superb Bromheads Jacket. Thanks for the tracks! Loved ‘Who Killed The…’, and the new album sounds promising…

Daniel April 2, 2006 at 8:01 am

There’s really not much good music coming from England altogether! We either have bands who haven’t got over Joy Division, The Smiths and EATB or we have bands who haven’t got over The Jam.

Saying that, Johnny Boy and Cranebuilders reside in Liverpool but they definitely distance themselves from The Beatles-esque pop of The Zutons and The Coral.

I’d say Bearsuit are my favourite British band of the moment and they’re from Norwich!

Anonymous April 2, 2006 at 10:13 am

“there’s better known Somalian bands than there are ones from Birmingham.”

hmmm…arent Editors from Birmingham?

Squashed April 3, 2006 at 1:06 am

oh come on…

cocteau twins
Belle & Sebastian
Lady soverign (yes I know she is not a band.)

Destroyers? (oh wait, that’s canadian.)

Daniel April 3, 2006 at 4:11 am

You can’t call Cocteau Twins current! And B&S and CT are Scottish, in terms of English bands there aren’t many ones I’d want to listen to.

And Lady Sovereign is dreadful.

iamahatter9 April 3, 2006 at 6:57 am

It is nice to see America embracing UK bands.

The editors are from Birmingham, but look out for a band called the mexicolas, check myfriends at myspace.com/robinowenspace they are from birmingham, also check spindrift another good birmingham band.

Species 8472 April 4, 2006 at 1:07 pm

To be honest, I’m struggling to think of a Somalian band that would be better known than Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne, The Moody Blues, ELO, and at least half, now a third, of Led Zeppelin. For starters.

Being from Birmingham, but having lived 28 years in Leeds (before moving to Denmark), I have to say the best thing to come out of Liverpool, is the M62.

Anonymous April 5, 2006 at 5:57 pm

Liverpool = Pittsburgh

….anyone?

Anonymous May 17, 2006 at 5:16 pm

How the hell can you say that Liverpool is only good for the M62! They produced probally the most famous band in history, the Beatles. They have also produced Zutons, Coral, Echo and the bunnymen, Teardrop explosion and Deaf School. And many more. I shudder to think of what you would call music. Prehaps Banamarama is more you style?

Gazareth May 17, 2006 at 5:49 pm

Liverpool is the British City of Rock N’ Roll – Officially! It says so on a sign!
Although a few other cities in the UK produce a few bands (Leeds, Sheffield) Liverpool has more quantity and quality –

The Beatles
The Icicle Works
The Zutons
The Coral
The Dead 60s
Ladytron
The Stands

Need any more and I will be happy to type some!
As for Liverpool being the equivalent of Pittsburgh, I would say its more like the Chicago of the UK.

walknthabass July 10, 2007 at 10:07 pm

Click Artists, click the “T’s”

This was on the Sundance Channel tonight and it was the first I’d heard of The Zutons. They were great!!

Anonymous August 19, 2009 at 2:59 am