Hip-Hop Anonymous?

Damn…I know if you guys have been following this site for a while, you’ll know that I rarely post any hip-hop or rap… and it’s definitely not because I don’t like any… I actually don’t have a reason! I want to start posting more and more that I like, because I feel it’s obviously something this blog of mine is missing. So…here’s an opening batch of songs for the rap-conscious hipsters out there:

[MP3] BlackaliciousChemical Calisthenics
[MP3] BlackaliciousThe Rise & Fall Of Elliot Brown
Tim Parker (Gift of Gab) may be one of the most talented MCs out there. A lot of people don’t really like his take on the old-school style, but there’s no denying the man’s one of the biggest innovators in hip-hop in the past decade. Plus, he’s the fastest rhymer in the west.

[MP3] DangerDoomDoomage (ft. Non-Prophets, Slug & Brother Ali)
Here’s a little-known DangerDoom track. What makes this even better is that Providence rapper Sage Francis adds a few words…

[MP3] Gnarls BarkleyJust A Thought
After breaking UK sales records, Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse can’t get any hotter. You guys have undoubtedly heard Crazy, but this one’s my favorite.

[MP3] Kanye West / José GonzálezGet ‘Em High / Lovestain
[MP3] The Game / José GonzálezDreams / Crosses
If Chris hasn’t already turned you guys onto this, listen to these tracks. I never would have thought that such a mash-up could be so good, but there you have it. Dert has turned four amazing songs into two even more incredible masterpieces.

[MP3] MadvillainMoney Folder (Four Tet Remix)
Here’s another great remix. Madvillainy is almost untouchable, so I’m sure it was a feat for Four Tet to come up with a remix that even remotely challenged the original…but listen closely, this shit’s too hot to pass up.

[MP3] MF DoomDedicated (w/ Wale Oyejide)
MF Doom is one MC that’s seriously growing on me. I really like his work with Madlib and Danger Doom, and I’m just starting to scratch the surface of his insanely extensive solo work…here’s a great song I found online somewhere, probably on a blog run by someone much cooler than me.

[ZIP] Hip-Hop Anonymous

Jennings April 9, 2006 at 11:55 pm

The same thoughts about the lack of hip-hop on rbally aside, I have to post in support of your disdain for Ms. Coulter.

Anonymous April 10, 2006 at 12:42 am

Ann Coulter is on my top 5 most hated list right underneath Hitler and Bush (although im not comparing Bush to Hitler)
and great music too
what a post!

Anonymous April 10, 2006 at 2:08 am

liking the ann coulter tidbit. what a bitch.

b April 10, 2006 at 2:36 am

Doomage is actually a remix of Damage by Sage Francis on his Non-Prophets project, remixed by MF Doom. Great remix i might add….

Ann “My Balls Are Bigger Than Yours” Coulter — ha ha ha

Sean April 10, 2006 at 3:32 am

Dude THANK YOU.

Ann Coulter is a disgrace to Americans, nay HUMANS everywhere.

I used to work in a bookstore and a friend and I used to remove her books from the shelves and hide them where they would never be found.

daniela April 10, 2006 at 10:28 am

I wish you hadn’t put such a large picture of her on your site…it’s quite scary… she makes my skin crawl in anger

But thanks for the hip hop!

Rich April 10, 2006 at 10:35 am

I bet Ann Coulter doesn’t even like MF Doom. She’s so… ugh.

coconut curry April 10, 2006 at 11:39 am

Amen! I wonder how she looks at herself in the mirror? Oh, wait, she can’t, since SHE HAS NO SOUL.

Squashed April 10, 2006 at 11:52 am

my eyes…my eyes….
do you HAVE to put such giant picture of coulter?

I am sending you my medical bill pal..!

Anonymous April 10, 2006 at 12:34 pm

yeah i guess posting on a girl that has nothing to do with music is relevant. hating someone for their political views is not only stupid, but retarded. i guess you guys know so much about indie rock it makes you geniuses in all fields. i’m glad you all feel better about yourselves for hating someone who’s more successful than you ever will be.

connor April 10, 2006 at 1:06 pm

whoa there…listen, I don’t hate Ann Coulter because of her political views, I hate her because of the smut she peddles in her books. There is so much that’s seriously wrong in the country, so when someone with the power to change this country for the better comes along and just pushes those lies even further, polarizing the dominant parties even more, and on top of all of that does it only to turn a fucking buck, I will have nothing but contempt and scorn for that person.

And yes, you’re right. She will probably be more “successful” than I will ever be. Ironically enough, Ann Coulter is a smart person. She knows damn well what she’s doing, she knows that what she writes are lies, fabrications, and bullshit, and furthermore she knows that the a hell of a lot of hopeless people in this country will buy her books… God, isn’t that insulting to you? She thinks she is smarter than you, she knows she can trick you into buying that crap…doesn’t that make you feel even the slightest bit used and undervalued?

I don’t want to start a flame war here (I guess I did figure that most of my readership, as well as most people in the indie world, share these views), but just try to see that if you are conservative/republican, do you really want your party affilliated with someone like her??

Moka April 10, 2006 at 1:54 pm

who the fuck is Ann Coulter?
I need to start watching the news… hey how about some hip-hop list circa 1991-1994?

Anonymous April 10, 2006 at 2:00 pm

hey thanks for the amazing music, as usual. i would definitely recommend Immortal Technique, i searched for him on the hype machine and hardly any tracks showed up. in particular i would check out “The 4th Branch”, “Peruvian Cocaine” and “The Industrial Revolution”. all of his songs have strong political undercurrents (and i think what he says is smart and thought-out rather than the usual generic statements about how much so and so hates Bush.) also check out the work of Black Star (Mos Def & Talib Kweli) if you haven’t already, especially “Re: Definition” although the whole album is great.

squashed April 10, 2006 at 3:39 pm

“Moka said…
who the fuck is Ann Coulter?”

Right-wing agitprop, facist shill, media propagandist, hate mongerer, and generally despicable human being.

be glad you don’t know who she is. You can google some of her masterpiece writing online.

Brendawg April 10, 2006 at 5:43 pm

Do you guys listen to any rap that isn’t “indie?” Just wondering, because as great as Gab is, TI, Lil’ Wayne, and Ghostface have put out the best shit this year.

Anonymous April 10, 2006 at 5:52 pm
Alex April 10, 2006 at 5:57 pm

Great to see some hip hop. I agree with brendawg on one of those suggested, as the Ghostface album is somethin’ else. Excellent tunes to find there. I have a lot of listening to do..

connor April 10, 2006 at 6:09 pm

brendawg,

I agree about Ghostface and Lil Wayne, but I really don’t like TI…it’s nothing new or special

Brendawg April 10, 2006 at 7:47 pm

I don’t know…to me, “What You Know” is the song of the year so far. That song seems pretty amazing compared to most of the shit on the radio. And “U Don’t Know Me” was a pretty good single from last year. Album-wise, TI’s new one is pretty good. As far as new or special – I think his delivery and drawl are something different than the mainstream rap game has ever experienced. Do you dig any of the classics?

eric April 10, 2006 at 8:34 pm

thanks for the great selection…lovin the Dert mashups.

Miles April 11, 2006 at 7:56 am

Ann Coulter is so deranged it’s unbelievable. She’s more like a Disney villain than any kind of political commentator.

Kevin April 11, 2006 at 7:54 pm

Good stuff, and I’ll throw in El-P and the entire Definitive Jux clan, Hieroglyphics and the Rhymesayers clan (Atmosphere, Blueprint, etc.)

Haldan / Boody B April 15, 2006 at 5:23 am

coulter will get hers.

DudeAsInCool May 19, 2006 at 1:11 pm

Nicely put. You need to add criminal (vote fraud)!

Gabriel M June 6, 2006 at 7:12 pm

Hey can you link me or send me those jose gonzalez songs please
dance2arrows@gmail.com

kelly July 7, 2006 at 3:06 pm

can you point me in the direction of some other mp3 blogs that have good hip hop? i’m in love with that madvillain remix.

Anonymous July 9, 2006 at 6:08 pm

First of all ann coulter is a cunt.

Doomage is a Non-Prophets (Sage Francis produced by Joey Beats) Track produced by MF DOOM
Dangerdoom Only exists when MF DOOM and Dj Dangermouse Collaberate
When Madlib and MF DOOM collaborate its Madvillain.

But thank you for posting the doomage track its VERY hard to find

this is what i know. August 3, 2006 at 11:34 pm

doomage is a really good sage (non-prophets) song. i think he’s gotten some light a little past his prime (dude is almost 40!), so skip the epitaph joint and go right to Personal Journals (still on anticon?), or go to strangefamous (his self release label) for the “Still Sick..” series of self-releases. all four are really really worth it if you like the Doomage track.

i highly recommend: “emperor’s new clothing”, “i apologize”, “embarassed”, and “killing time freestyle”.

on doom, check out his first album under the MF Doom moniker “operation doomsday – complete with Sade samples (title track) and a great reworking of a classic sample on “deadbent”. he said it – he’s super.

other than those two:

aesop rock – labor days
cannibal ox – cold vein
c. rayz walz – limelighters
ghostface – supreme clientele
little brother – the minstrel show

Anonymous October 9, 2006 at 6:11 pm

Royalty Free Beats For One Dollar

At

Anonymous August 8, 2007 at 11:20 pm

Any thoughts on hip hop mouth grillz and who’s your favorite grillz-wearing hip hop artists is?

Anonymous November 1, 2007 at 12:16 pm

I’m not much of a hip hop fan. But, this, I love:

Anonymous January 11, 2008 at 11:56 pm

I never seen so much cool hip hop jewelry. BallersIce.com got game.

Anonymous August 19, 2009 at 2:54 am