Chebeague

Chebeague is essentially the work of August Brown, a talented singer/songwriter out of L.A. (of all places). Their sound is best metaphorized by the obliteratedly raped cliché of a tumbleweed blowing in the wind: light and bouncy with a bit of twang, confident and directional, and a little rough around the edges (but not too rough to damage it’s character), and they’ve been compared to such greats as Elliott Smith, Neutral Milk Hotel, and perhaps most accurately Bright Eyes.

Melancholic, hopeful, delicate and mysterious, Chebeague is a home for those haunting stories and melodies that stay with you long after you think youve left them behind. – Chris Barton

[MP3] ChebeagueKeeping Quiet

In other news…

The Raconteurs have a new singe, which means they also have a new b-side. It’s not exactly what I would expect (an instrumental, and I’m pretty sure it’s a standard too…) but it’s not bad.

[MP3] The RaconteursThe Bane Rendition

Amighty April 25, 2006 at 7:51 pm

This sounds like an instrumental version of “Stroe Bought Bones” to me. There are actually a couple of different versions of the single… I think I ordered the one withthe the acoustic fversion on the B-side.

sonic April 25, 2006 at 8:32 pm

Hi,
is there something wrong with the link? I tried to download the song five or six times – my “record” was 6.2 MB, then the download broke down (sometimes earlier).
Sorry for your trouble with the RIAA. What a greedy stupid bunch of people!

cbotwell April 26, 2006 at 12:53 am

What the instrumental sounds like is the song “thinkfreakness” by the black keys. I listened and was like I have heard this before. Sure enough, I ran through my library and found it to be similar.

Amighty April 26, 2006 at 8:12 am

the guitar does have the same tone as the black keys, but the song is not the same.

The song is EXACTLY the same as a version of “Store Bought Bones” they did on BBC1 at the end of April.. Checkit out here:

I’d describe it, but it’s the same as this with the guys singing the song over this instrumental.

cookies from elastic April 26, 2006 at 12:54 pm

Looks like bandwidth has been exceeded and the song isn’t downloading. Would love to hear it. Anyway you might try again?

Many thanks!