The Atkins Diet

I am excited about two things: the weekend and Nicole Atkins & The Sea.

This week has been dragging on, perhaps because summer is a mere week of classes away? Who knows, but Friday is here and it is by far the best day of the week. A good thing about Friday, aside from it being the gateway to temporary academic freedom, is the fact that I came across a really talented singer.

Nicole Atkins impressed me with her catchy songs and soothing voice. If the pop blend of Jenny Lewis and the somber tone of Chan Marshall were ever combined, I am pretty positive this would be the resulting sound (and the looks, she is very attractive). I want to call her a crooner that deserves to be at a piano bar making middle aged men sob. Atkins has a knack for creating dreamy melodies and elegant vocals, that even made Rolling Stone put her on the 10 Artists To Watch In 2006 list.

Not a bad list to make with a debut album on the way. Be sure to check out her site for more musical delicacies.

[MP3] Nicole Atkins & The SeaSkywriters
[MP3] Nicole Atkins & The SeaWar Torn
[MP3] Nicole Atkins & The SeaNeptune City

Unrelated to Ms. Atkins, I’ve noticed every time I post something about/related to The Flaming Lips‘ latest endeavor, At War With The Mystics, the comments tend to get as heated as an abortion argument. A lot of Mystics haters I am finding, although I love the new album. In the last Lips post I found a pretty argumentatively flared comment left by Matt in responses to Charles’ (linked) album review.

I’ll let you check it out for yourself, but I had a pretty good chuckle over it. Enjoy the rest of Friday and treat yourself to some AMAZING Ray LaMontagne B-Sides, posted by good ole’ Heather. Her blog just gets better and better, eh?

PS. Contest(s) coming soon..

Anonymous April 21, 2006 at 7:01 pm

that nicole atkins is one stone smoking fox for a 35 year old.

Nathaniel April 21, 2006 at 7:38 pm

i think she is 27, but yes. super hot.

Dan April 22, 2006 at 8:55 am

hey – thanks a million – her stuff is VERY VERY kick-ass…great voice – really cool production too.
gonna play her on the RADIO :)

Dainon. April 22, 2006 at 9:14 am

She’s like, what, a more tolerable Fiona Apple … you know, one that likes to have a little fun with her broken heart blues. Nice.

james April 22, 2006 at 6:51 pm

i have been viewing your site for some time now, my first comment though. anyhow i felt compelled to post because the “neptune city” track completely sounds like “ice dance” from ed scissorhands (by danny elfman)or is it just me?!?

Katie April 23, 2006 at 1:07 am

Thank you for this post! Based on your Jenny Lewis comparison I downloaded the tracks. They are amazing and I can’t wait to hear more from her!

Ryan April 24, 2006 at 11:56 am

I saw her open for the national and CYHSY at the bowery ballroom back in september…she left my mouth agape and possibly drooling. wonderful stuff

Anonymous February 12, 2007 at 5:53 am

The low-fat doughnut is the Holy Grail of the food industry. Food companies have been able to take most of the fat out of everything from cheese to Twinkies. But no one has succeeded in designing a marketable doughnut that dips below the federal low-fat threshold of three grams per serving. Doughnuts typically range from eight grams of fat for a glazed French cruller to more than double that for a cake-like doughnut.”

*Holey Donuts!(tm) Frosted ring donuts were lab tested at an astonishing two point eight (2.8) grams of total fat per donut..Now you know why we have been the darling of the celebrity community for so long and finally the secret is out for all to enjoy!
check it out-