New Songs from Final Fantasy!!!

GOD, I have been waiting for this day forever. I finally got my copy of Final Fantasy‘s latest Young Canadian Mothers 7″, which includes his previously released cover of Joanna Newsom‘s “Peach, Plum, Pear” and two reworked songs from his debut, as well as a new song, “Spell For A Weak Heart,” which is presumably the first “single” from FF’s upcoming album, He Poos Clouds. The EP was only released on vinyl, but luckily for you all some tech-conscious hipster ripped it! Check it out, all recommended!

[MP3] Final FantasySpell For A Weak Heart
If you’ve seen FF play live, you’re probably familiar with his stripped down violin version of this song. With a new album around the corner, more money from touring in his wallet, and perhaps a personal vendetta to prove wrong a critic who dubbed him “a lesser Andrew Bird,” Owen seems set for a sound shift. The violin thing…yeah, it’s cool and all, but it only gets you so far. Vinyl scratching, synth blips, various other electronic noises, the ever-trusty wood block, and Owen’s angelic voice create an amalgam that’s confidence is only outweighed by it’s catchiness. It’ll be a great year for Mr. Pallett.

[MP3] Final FantasyThis Is The Dream Of Emma & Cam
This is a slightly “rockified” version of the second track on Has A Good Home. Here, Owen has added so much to a song that didn’t really need much of anything else. The basic structure and melodies of the song are the same, and while the added drums, synth, bells/xylophone, etc give it more complexity and texture, and while it’s certainly nice to hear “new” material from FF, I think this new version is a little unnecessary… but there’s no avoiding irony if one were to claim that musicians act out of necessity, so for what it’s worth, it’s still a great song.

Check out more Final Fantasy, including the Joanna Newsom cover, over at the hype machine.
Also, Chris posted a Final Fantasy remix of a Grizzly Bear song today. Congrats to Gorilla vs. Bear on winning Filter’s Blogger of the Year award!

Michael March 23, 2006 at 1:02 pm

Oh man thanks for posting this. I got my Young Candian Mothers 7″ the other day and aglad to be able to hear the songs since the speakers on my record player stopped working. thanks again!

Aaron Burkhalter March 23, 2006 at 1:50 pm

I agreed with that critic early on, and made my own deriding comments toward Mr. Pallett, but I’ve had a change of heart since then. I think you’re spot on about the violin getting you so far. Mr. Bird himself states that the violin is not why he does what he does, but just another device to get the sounds he’s looking for, and I think it must be the same for FF.

I dig the new addition of blips, blops and bloops. I think it really fleshes out his sound in a really nice way. He’s continuing to grow on my more and more.

Chris March 23, 2006 at 2:38 pm

nice, i finally got my 7″ the other day too, but it’s nice to have these in mp3 format for iPod listening. thanks man.

Andrea March 24, 2006 at 1:50 pm

I couldn’t help but notice the title “The Dream of Emma and Cam” is extremely close to the title of a Dntel song “The Dream of Evan and Chan” with Ben Gibbard. I wonder if there’s a relation there, though the songs aren’t that similar. I haven’t heard the original Final Fantasy song though. …What do I know.

James March 26, 2006 at 2:06 pm

thanks so much for these! Can’t wait to see him live in May. He also does a very good cover of ‘This Modern Love’

T.Douglas Robbins Esq. March 27, 2006 at 9:05 pm

Has anybody seen a mp3 of the “This Modern Love” cover? That’d be joyworlds zeldacore.

fiona April 2, 2006 at 8:07 pm

I hope it’s ok to leave a link like this in the comments, apologies if not.
Final Fantasy – This Modern Love – live at Over The Top Festival 11-01-05: hxxp://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0LUN06MHMHW4Y3HS5FY1ROMO2O

The whole show is floating around out there as mp3s.

Kugelschreiber April 6, 2006 at 1:47 am

to hear a demo of “spell for a weakling heart” check out
http://www.russellwaldman.com and click on the film ‘violins’.

Myst April 14, 2006 at 1:52 am