A message from Connor, with love…

Hey guys, sorry I’ve been out of the posting loop for a couple days. You see…I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before (actually I do know, and I have), but I’m probably the biggest Elliott Smith fan you’ll ever come across. I’m not just boasting (is that really worthy of bragging rights?), it’s seriously an obsession. Part of this obsession is my quest to own every live recording of his that’s out there…over the past couple years I’ve collected around 135 recordings of his live shows….around 2,300 songs or so.

At around 4:00PM EST yesterday, disaster struck [one of] my external hard drive[s]. It just stopped working…dammit. 160 friggin’ gigabytes of movies, tv shows, music to blog, and most importantly all my Elliott Smith…all fucking gone. I’ll give you a minute to absorb that…I’m still not ready to accept it…but I must move on.

In any event, a lot of unlistened music [my "stash"] is inaccessible. I’m still trying for the love of allah to somehow fix the beast, but things aren’t looking too swell… I’ll probably post later on today, no doubt, but until then, here’s the only song that can express how I feel better than I can:

[MP3] Jeff BuckleyDido’s Lament (Live at Meltdown Festival 07/01/1995)

meggie March 20, 2006 at 4:38 pm

i’m so sorry, love. when i see you, i’ll give you a massive hug. i feel like i should send a sympathy card or something because that truly was your baby.

countrygrrl March 20, 2006 at 5:52 pm

god it doesnt bear thinking about, i only have about 80g of music but if i lost that i would be in bereavement camp. i hope it is sortable as it is everry collectors nightmare,,,that or a house fire …fingers crossed,

Gina March 20, 2006 at 7:12 pm

Man, that’s terrible. Hope there’s some hope of recovery.

In the meantime, that Buckley performance of Purcell is really amazing: grabs your attention and holds onto it.

Shaun March 20, 2006 at 7:14 pm

Good luck, I can only imagine what you must be feeling right now. It should be able to be retrieved, somehow.

Chad March 20, 2006 at 7:38 pm

that’s horrible…i hope you’re able to fix things!

that being said, no way are you a bigger elliott fan than me. :)

(seriously though, i probably have a good deal of what you might have lost, so if you need anything i’m always glad to send it over…)

Anonymous March 20, 2006 at 7:54 pm

wow, i feel so bad for you. that really sucks. i don’t know what i’d ever do if i lost my music! hope it all works out ok :)

allochthon March 20, 2006 at 9:00 pm

i’m so sad about your loss.

And, thank you for your gift — I’ve wanted a copy of Buckley’s “Dido..” for the last year.

grant March 20, 2006 at 10:19 pm

that’s an awful feeling. but like the buddhists say, “live life like an open palm. let things be given to you as easy as they are taken away.”

put on a hot pot of coffee, fire up some icq and p2p and you’ll be back on your feet in no time.

Erin March 20, 2006 at 10:33 pm

if you need any elliot smith sent over, i’ve got seven or eight albums in mp3 format to help out. i’d tear my hair out if all of a sudden i lost all of my elliot smith! email’s on my blog, (http://stardustholiday.blogspot.com) if you’re interested.

… fingers crossed

erin

Squashed March 20, 2006 at 10:47 pm

Connor,

okay, everybody already gives the sad speech. As a self appointed L’enfant terrible, I for one think this is a great opportunity for everybody to reprogram Connor’s entire music digital personality. And more importantly Connor now has ‘digital amnesia’ defense everytime somebody thinks he picks the wrong tracks to polute the internet with. :D

yours truely

sq.

PS. just kidding. The next person prying for my HD to crash will get a wet sock for christmas card. :p (last time my HD crash I sulk and curl in fetal position in the corner for 2 days. … but still don’t do back up.)

Anonymous March 21, 2006 at 12:21 am

If all else fails, it could be worth the money to go to a file recovery firm. All those 1s and 0s are in there somewhere.
Kinda strange to think of Elliott’s music that way…
Good luck.

Dave Rawkblog March 21, 2006 at 7:41 am

http://www.trashtreasury.com has ton of Elliott shows, hope that helps!

christine March 22, 2006 at 7:15 am

just a thought: a friend of mine had her HD crash last spring, and everything ended up working out a-ok. there is hope! computer type companies can work wonders!

good luck! and i certainly wish you the best!

Dave Smith March 26, 2006 at 12:42 pm
Micah April 10, 2006 at 4:33 pm

Would it be worth it to try Drive Savers?

They can take a drive and even if it does not work they take it apart and retrieve the information

-Micah