Well, it’s that time of year. It is in my modest opinion that most of the blogs wrote their lists a little early this year, so I decided to postpone mine until now… and if I hadn’t, who knows what wouldn’t have made the list?! So without further ado, here are my top 25 albums of 2005:
TOP 25 of 2005
25. Devin Davis – Lonely People Of The World, Unite!
One of the most overlooked albums of the year…brilliant music of the same vein that Sufjan so ferociously tapped.
MP3 –> Iron Woman
24. Chris Whitley – Soft Dangerous Shores
RIP. He stepped a bit away from his traditional sound to create breathtakingly emotional and atmospheric songs.
MP3 –> As Day Is Long
23. Menomena – Under An Hour
Menomena’s managed to step almost entirely away from their debut to create a beautiful work of instrumental art.
MP3 –> Flour (clip)
22. Paul McCartney – Chaos And Creation In The Backyard
I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but this is his most Beatles-esq record to date, and it’s also, in my opinion, his best record yet.
MP3 –> Jenny Wren
21. The Rosebuds – Birds Make Good Neighbors
This was one of the few bands on this list that I had never heard of, so obviously I was surprised how amazing the album turned out to be.
MP3 –> Blue Bird
20. The Boy Least Likely To – The Best Party Ever
The funnest, happiest, most upbeat albeit cute record of 2005. Too bad they don’t tour! Look for more in 2006.
19. LCD Soundsystem – S/T
Dance punk is back! Dance…Punk…. Think about it. Awesome tunes to throw on a party, any party, anywhere.
18. Bell Orchestre – Recording A Tape The Colour Of The Light
This side project from a few Arcade Fire members is post rock the way it should be: explosive and original.
MP3 –> Throw It On A Fire
17. Kanye West – Late Registration
He’s baa-aack. This time with Jon Brion (fuck yeah), Kanye creates the best rap album of the year.
16. The White Stripes – Get Behind Me Satan
The bi-colored duo create their most musically experimental album, and it still fucking rocks.
MP3 –> The Denial Twist
15. José González – Veneer
The best acoustic album of the year, in the vein of Nick Drake.
MP3 –> Heartbeats
14. Final Fantasy – Has A Good Home!
One of the most surprisingly entertaining live acts I’ve ever seen. Plus he has really cool shoes.
MP3 –> The Sea
13. Tapes ‘n Tapes – The Loon
Look out for these guys to be one of the most hyped bands of 2006 (but it’s all worth it).
MP3 –> Manitoba
12. Lightning Bolt – Hypermagic Mountain
Providence, RI’s dynamic duo yet again prove they are not to be fucked with. See for yourself at one of their shows.
MP3 –> 2 Morro Morro Land
11. Antony And The Johnsons – I Am A Bird Now
I never knew I could like this type of music as much as I do now. You’d have to hear his voice to believe it.
MP3 –> Hope There’s Someone
10. Goldspot – Tally Of The Yes Men
I heard this for the first time yesterday, and it still made my top 10. It’s that good.
MP3 –> The Guard
9. Death Cab For Cutie – Plans
I wasn’t sure what to think at first, but this album has grown on me, and continues to with every listen.
8. Animal Collective – Feels
To be honest, I’m just amazed how something can be both genius and boderline retarded at the same time.
MP3 –> Grass
7. Andrew Bird – The Mysterious Production Of Eggs
Along with Owen Pallett, this guy knows how to put on one hell of a solo violin looping-pedal extravaganza…show.
MP3 –> Sovay
6. Wolf Parade – Apologies To The Queen Mary
I just be lovin’ me these Talking Heads-influenced Canadian bands, a la Arcade Fire. Really really awesome, emotional, moving music.
MP3 –> Grounds For Divorce
5. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah – S/T
These guys really lived up to their hype to create some seriously kick ass, indie rock and/or roll at its finest.
4. Rogue Wave – Descended Like Vultures
I loved Zach Rogue’s first solo effort, and this just made me love him even more. One of the friendliest musician’s I’ve had the pleasure meeting.
MP3 –> Catform
3. Devendra Banhart – Cripple Crow
I kind of appreciated his first few albums, but I absolutely LOVE this one. Almost every song is pure genius.
MP3 –> When They Come
2. Bloc Party – Silent Alarm
One of the most consistently amazing albums of the year; absolutely no-filler, indie rock.
MP3 –> This Modern Love
1. Sufjan Stevens – Come On! Feel The Illinoise!
The is the closest to perfection of any of the albums on this list, and once again Sufjan proves his status as Indie’s Whiz Kid. Simply Brilliant.
MP3 –> Come On! Feel The Illinoise!
5. Sigur Rós – Takk
4. Immaculate Machine – Ones And Zeros
3. Shining – In The Kingdom Of Kitsch You Will Be A Monster
2. Nada Surf – The Weight Is A Gift
1. Patrick Wolf – Wind In The Wires
BEST ALBUMS THAT I OVERLOOKED:
The New Pornographers – Twin Cinema
Broken Social Scene – S/T
Brendan Benson – Alternative To Love
The Decemberists – Picaresque
Mazarin – We’re Already There
My Morning Jacket – Z
The National – Alligator
Okkervil River – Black Sheep Boy
M.I.A. – Arular
Spoon – Gimme Fiction